A sewing case is an excellent way for an avid sewer to stay prepared for any sewing emergencies. Whether it’s your button bursting out of your blouse, or your son ripping his trouser doing a split, a sewing case is a treasure chest with all the handy tools you will need to complete the repairs.
Time To Complete: 1 Hour
This type of bag doubles up as an excellent gift for your colleagues at work, your kids, fellow knitters and even teachers looking for a creative bag to carry their teaching materials.
What You Will Need to DIY Your Own Sewing Case
- Two strips of quilting fabric (3 by 12 inches)
- Two 1.5 by 12 inches strips of essex linen
- One 7.5 by 12 inches quilting weight fabric
- Heavyweight iron-on interfacing cut. This should be a ¼ inch smaller than template ‘A’ on all sides.
- Lining fabric
- Iron-on interfacing
- One piece of contrasting fabric (4.5 by 6.5 inches)
- One piece contrasting fabric cut to template ‘B’ measurements
- One piece contrasting fabric measuring 7.5 by 6.5 inches.
- A zipper
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- Two pieces of 2.5 by 3 inches quilting cotton
- 2 short binding pieces
With the help of clear and concise step by step guide complete with templates, making your first carry along sewing case couldn’t be easier.
This guide provides you with everything you need including the different materials and measurements to bring your sewing case to life.
Clear and high-resolution images help you keep tabs on your progress and tell if you’re doing everything the right way.
The completed sewing case features multiple pockets to organize all your sewing tools and materials and a zipper closure to keep everything safe and secure.
On the inside, the bag features a main compartment as well as multiple compartments that can hold the fabric, tools like seam rippers, buttons among others.
For every beginner sewer, this is an excellent first project considering it is something that you will continue using throughout your sewing life. It also makes for a great gift for your friends who also love sewing.