The Brancaster messenger bag traces its roots to the 1940s. Heavily inspired by fishermen bags, this little package of convenience has grown to become a fashion statement that is highlighted by its asymmetrical flap and an easily accessible front pocket.
Time To Complete: 1 hour 30 mins
Brancaster messenger bags are popular for their practicality and convenient size, which is perfect for the everyday woman looking for a stylish bag to stash toiletries, cell phone and a few other items.
You can find Brancaster messenger bags in all colors, sizes and design and what works for you is down to personal preference.
This tutorial helps you make a Brancaster messenger bag with limited sewing knowledge and basic materials and tools.
What You Will Need to DIY Your Own Brancaster Messenger Bag
- 2/3 yard of 60 inches wide or ¾ yard of 44 inches wide exterior fabric (if you want to make the entire bag out of one fabric).
- If you prefer to have a contrast pocket and strap:
- 2/3 yards of 60 inches wide or 44 inches wide main exterior fabric
- 1/3 yard of 60 inches wide or 44 inches wide contrast fabric
- For all combinations:
- ¾ yard of 44 inches wide lining fabric
- 1/3 yard of 44 inches wide firm sew-in interfacing
- ½ yard of 36 inches wide fusible interfacing
- 40 inches by 5 inches of fusible web
- A piece of plastic canvas 2 inches by 12 inches
- One magnetic snap
- 2 or 3 big buttons
You will also need a few tools
- A pair of scissors
- A fabric marker pen, chalk or pencil
- Sticky tape (you will use this to join the templates)
- Sewing Machine
- Thread matching the fabric color
Once complete, Brancaster messenger bag will measure 9.5 inches in height, 13 inches in width and have a 2-inch base.
The design is exceptionally versatile. You can choose to have your bag made out of one material, have contrasting materials or feature different materials mixed. No matter which way you decide to go, the tutorial is designed to help you make the most out of your creativity.
This Brancaster Messenger bag pattern tutorial features digital PDF with clear, detailed and easy to understand instructions that will hold your hand through each step as you bring your new bag to life.
Should you run into any problems, you can get in touch with the responsive support team that will get back to you within 24 hours and provide assistance.